The fontQA testing framework has been developed by FSI Fonts und Software GmbH. It is the result of continuous efforts to ensure a high quality of their fonts while reducing the work load to a minimum.
Why another font testing tool?
There are a lot of programmes for font testing that are useful but have some limitations.
Let's compare existing tools with the new fontQA:
- With current tools you can only test generated fonts which means that the quality control can only be done at the end of the production process.
With fontQA quality control is possible at any stage of the font production.
- Not all test programmes are available for all operating systems.
Since fontQA runs within FontLab it can be used under Mac OS and Windows.
- Not all test programmes can test all font formats.
With fontQA tests are independent from the final font format.
- Some programmes can only test single fonts.
fontQA can evaluate each individual font within the whole family.
- Some programmes create test reports which are hard to read.
fontQA reports are easy to understand and well-structured.
- The existing programmes are not extendable and have limited options for configuration.
With fontQA, you can adjust and extend the range of tests according to your individual requirements.
Since fontQA is built in modules, you can limit tests to properties that you are currently working on.